Still Sick After 2 Rounds of Doxycycline

Cassondra53

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
Hello friends!
I've got a chicken that has been sneezing/making a little sound when she breathes/at one point had a swollen corner of the eye. When her eye got swollen, I took her to the emergency vet and they gave her 5 Doxycycline pills. Her eye went right back to normal after about two days and her symptoms went down a bit, although she was still sneezing. After about a week, her symptoms were coming back to the point where she wasn't breathing super easy, so I got a refill of the doxycycline and gave them to her (just finished her 5th pill yesterday morning).
However, now she's still sneezing, she's losing her voice, and still making a bit of a weird sound when she breathes. I have attached a Youtube link here:

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? I was thinking Mycoplasma, but if two rounds of Doxycycline aren't cutting it, then that seems odd. I just started her on Tylan today (1mL orally)

Thank you friends! I really appreciate any help/ideas! I love my girl and I want her to live a happy life!

Which Tylan do you have - injectable or soluble?
How much does she weigh?

Is her crop emptying completely overnight?

You may be dealing with a virus since she's had 2 rounds of Doxycycline from the vet.
Tylan can help relieve symptoms of bacteria like disease like Mycoplasma.

Hello! Thank you for the reply! I have both injectable and soluble Tylan. I started yesterday with giving the injectable kind orally. She is very light. I don’t have a scale, so I aimed low and gave her 1 mL.
Is there a virus you have in mind that I might be dealing with?
Thanks again!!

Hello! Thank you for the reply! I have both injectable and soluble Tylan. I started yesterday with giving the injectable kind orally. She is very light. I don’t have a scale, so I aimed low and gave her 1 mL.
Is there a virus you have in mind that I might be dealing with?
Thanks again!!
Try to make sure you are giving the correct dose of Tylan.

Injectable Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row. For it to be effective, that 3 times a day is important!

Infectious Bronchitis is a common viral respiratory disease, sometimes an antibiotic can be given to help fight secondary infection. Hopefully you will see improvement.

Since she's been on antibiotics (this is the 3rd time). I would give her some probiotics - a little bit of yogurt daily or you can purchase them.
Monitor her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight too.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom