Still sickly chicken

Mandapanda84

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2022
I am trying to get my poor hen on the mend and have ruled out all outward presenting reasons for illness. My next try is brewers yeast. I have been syringe feeding and watering her. What’s the best dosage to give her? Last night I ground up her feed with some water in the food processor and was able to syringe her a good amount…(say I make about 1/4 cup mush for her, how much brewers yeast should I add?)

Thank you for asking, she’s not well 😔 now I can feel an egg in there but I don’t think she has the strength to push it out. I’ve been giving her water, electrolytes and yogurt (all syringe fed) and she’s just not getting any better. I did get some herbal antibiotic that I was giving her but they upset her gut I think and her crop was filling with air. she is on day two of yeast infection treatment as well. She just keeps hanging on though. I’m worried about this egg. Poor girl.

Thank you for asking, she’s not well 😔 now I can feel an egg in there but I don’t think she has the strength to push it out. I’ve been giving her water, electrolytes and yogurt (all syringe fed) and she’s just not getting any better. I did get some herbal antibiotic that I was giving her but they upset her gut I think and her crop was filling with air. she is on day two of yeast infection treatment as well. She just keeps hanging on though. I’m worried about this egg. Poor girl.
So she's egg bound?

Check her crop in the early in the morning and see if it emptied.
Is her abdomen bloated at all? (the abdomen is underneath the vent in between the legs)
Check her over for mites or lice.
Do you have any Nutri-Drench? If so give her some, if not give her gatorade or some energy drink like that. If you don't have any energy drink mix 1 teaspoon of sugar in 1 cup of water and give to her.
Give her some egg, she needs some protein.

Also since she's is egg bound (she is, right?) do epsom salt soaks and give her 1 calcium citrate with D3 tablet once a day.

Thanks. Ive been doing epsom soaks, trying to get her to eat eggs(she is refusing all food), I have a vitamin/electrolyte supplement that mixes with water for chickens, she has no lice/mites/worms (I dewormed my whole flock in the beginning of June). I’ve been having to feed and water her with a medicine dropper syringe. I will also be picking up some vitamin b supplements tomorrow and I’ll pick up some calcium too. Her abdomen is not bloated but I would say it’s the slightest swollen, I think because of the egg. She is extremely skinny at this point.

Thanks. Ive been doing epsom soaks, trying to get her to eat eggs(she is refusing all food), I have a vitamin/electrolyte supplement that mixes with water for chickens, she has no lice/mites/worms (I dewormed my whole flock in the beginning of June). I’ve been having to feed and water her with a medicine dropper syringe. I will also be picking up some vitamin b supplements tomorrow and I’ll pick up some calcium too. Her abdomen is not bloated but I would say it’s the slightest swollen, I think because of the egg. She is extremely skinny at this point.
Keep syringe feeding her food and water.
How is her crop? Full? Empty?
Consider getting some Nutri-Drench, it will help her.
Her abdomen is bloated some because of the stuck egg.

Back
Top Bottom