Still singing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MzPlacedHippie, Aug 19, 2013.

1. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Ok, maybe they are just really pleased but two of my girls have broke into the egg song at random after I thought we were done for the day. Youth? They've left the boxes over an hour now.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Sometimes they just like to carry on. It's heritable so I mark them down a point for being excessively vocal.

Mine never used to make the 'egg song' unless a predator was spotted. Then I brought in some spacky ones who would do that noise all day every day and in short order they had the whole flock joining in. I had to cull some to shut them up.

It's actually derived from the alarm call, it's due to human intervention that domesticated poultry make that noise when not alarmed. Some get mentally trapped in that hysterical state of mind and can't stop even when they've run out of breath and missed mealtimes and drinking times because of standing there making that noise nonstop all day long. Horrible when you've got about a hundred chooks joining in and neighbours within earshot.

3. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    lol makes me wonder if they were making sure the hens across the way knew about it now. I have had my whole flock join in. That was quite a racket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by