Still some down on head, symptomatic?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dmpalmer, Aug 11, 2010.

1. dmpalmer

dmpalmer In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    So I have a duck that can't walk because her legs are so weak. I have tried everything from niacin pills, brewer's yeast, milk, vitamins, new feed. But I am wondering if the fact that for some reason she seems to still have some yellowy down (along with feathers) on the upper neck and top of her head indicates anything. Maybe that points to something else other than a niacin deficiency. Her brother, same age, long ago lost all his down and is pure white. Has anyone of you ever seen this on your ducks before?

2. secretquail

secretquail Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    How old is the duck? any pics?

3. dmpalmer

dmpalmer In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    About 4 months now I guess. No I don't have any pics.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

If it was niacin then the addition of it would fix it within a day or so. At this point the duck should have a complete set of feathers, so there is something else going on. You may need to see an avian vet to get an idea.

5. Baybrio

Baybrio Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Sounds like your duckling has some tufted genetics at work. The tufts on tufted ducks look like down at least partially. I found out after I purchased some tufted Rouens that some tufted ducks have abnormal brains and can show neurological difficulties.

6. dmpalmer

dmpalmer In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Wow, really? Sounds like I am fighting a loosing battle here if that is the case. I think I am fighting a loosing battle at this point anyway, because it has been going on for so long that I don't think there is any coming back from it now anyway. Very interesting , thanks.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    the top/back of the head is the very last place they will lose their down as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by