Still some down on head, symptomatic?

dmpalmer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
So I have a duck that can't walk because her legs are so weak. I have tried everything from niacin pills, brewer's yeast, milk, vitamins, new feed. But I am wondering if the fact that for some reason she seems to still have some yellowy down (along with feathers) on the upper neck and top of her head indicates anything. Maybe that points to something else other than a niacin deficiency. Her brother, same age, long ago lost all his down and is pure white. Has anyone of you ever seen this on your ducks before?

If it was niacin then the addition of it would fix it within a day or so. At this point the duck should have a complete set of feathers, so there is something else going on. You may need to see an avian vet to get an idea.

Sounds like your duckling has some tufted genetics at work. The tufts on tufted ducks look like down at least partially. I found out after I purchased some tufted Rouens that some tufted ducks have abnormal brains and can show neurological difficulties.

Wow, really? Sounds like I am fighting a loosing battle here if that is the case. I think I am fighting a loosing battle at this point anyway, because it has been going on for so long that I don't think there is any coming back from it now anyway. Very interesting , thanks.

Back
Top Bottom