still somewhat new chicken owner in MD

RavenStorm1977

Chirping
Mar 5, 2013
Hello, I've been a lurker a while and thought I would introduce myself! I have a small flock of 8 chickens (all layers), and my sister has a larger group (layers and some blue laced red wyandottes we are starting to raise). I've had chickens about 2 years and have just invested in a cabinet incubator - candling my first batch of eggs tomorrow. I also have an assortment of other critters - 2 dogs, 6 cats, 1 rabbit, 2 chinchillas, a horse, and I just took in a colony of 20 zebra finch. Hello!

I got a quick shock, I thought you said you had a colony of 20 zebras.
gig.gif
I wondered where they came from. Zebra finches are MUCH smaller and easier to confine.

definitely...but I think they eat as much food as 20 zebras! I have males, females, and family groups. They sure can make a lot of noise for such small birds.

images

Welcome to BYC!

So glad you could join our community! Good luck on the hatches and welcome to our flock!

shipped egg question - I just candled (10 day) my first every batch of shipped eggs. Out of 30 I only have 3 good ones. I had 5 with signs of embryonic death, the rest all candled infertile. So disappointed...i have great luck with my own eggs, have a sportsman cabinet incubator and it does great. Its really discouraging...was this a one time thing? does anyone have great success rates with shipped eggs?

Back
Top Bottom