1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still thin shell eggs from RR hen

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Flybybirds, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I have tried the calicum, free choice. They are on good pelleted feed. The treats are usually kale, collard, scrambled eggs,
    carrots, leftover veggies. She is a daily layer. She still has thin shelled eggs. My other hens are great, no problems. What else can I do?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How old is she? Is their regular feed a layer? You could try giving her a little vitamin D.

3. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    She is two years old. She is a regular geed layer. She gets egg laying crumbles, Pro biotic in water twice per week. What form of Vitamin D?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Any D supplements that you can get a drug store will do. Just crush and mix with a treat. She won't need the whole amount a human would for a daily dose, spread it out over a couple of days. You can also give her a calcium antacid like Tums, crushed.

5. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you that is an easy task. I hope it helps. Always afraid that she may break the egg inside her of while partially laying. A parrot hen was what we call egg bound. I spent a lot of hours with wet heat until she finally sluffed it. Then antibiotics for 10 days. Didn't want that revisited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by