Still too early to sex them... But look at this difference..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lswatson111304, Oct 21, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I know they are still young, but I bought these 3 chicks at the same time, they are all about the same size, and all are mixed. I realize that it is too early, and because they are mixed that makes it harder, but two of them have such more noticeable combs than one. One of them looks like it is even pinking up a bit. I also don't even know for sure how old they are. I think they are going on 3 weeks right now. SO yeah, tiny babies.

[​IMG]

This is the one that in person it seems to be pinking up. It is also the one that always tries to fly out of the brooder when I open it up! LOL
    [​IMG]

Barely any comb at all
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    At such a young age....I think you know the answer. Roo, Roo, Hen.[​IMG]

3. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Thank you. That's what I was thinking but I'm new to babies. The last time I had chickens they came to me at like 7 weeks, and the ones before that were adults.

So Ummm...
    Dinner, Dinner, Breakfast?? LOL Kidding!!

4. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    That means I have 7 roos in my brooder right now. I hope not! They all came out of the eggs with combs as big as No.2's.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Nah, it really depends on the breed. My leghorns all had combs that big and they were all girls. The pinkness could be an issue however. As for OP, second one probably roo, but too young for me to say for sure.

4 weeks or so female leghorn:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I would not base any differences in comb size right now. They are mixed as you said, so different breeds have different kinds and sizes of combs. Post pictures in a few weeks and perhaps you'll have a more accurate forecast. Until then, enjoy the fuzzy butts!

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    roo/pullet (eaither one cant really tell)
    roo
    pullet

lol just my guesses

8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I'm certianly no expert but I would think it differs from breed to breed-I have noticed both feathering and comb developement vary from one to another. I have 5 chicks all are nearly 4 weeks old. My red star sex link girls have very little combs, BO has even less, Dominique who supposedly is able to be sex linked as female, has the largest comb, and my Australorp is not too far behind. No one is pink yet [​IMG]

9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I got leghorns and blue Andalusians last month. I could tell which were boys and girls VERY early on b/c their combs grow amazingly fast. I was dead on right, so you probably are too! Mine are 6 or 7 weeks old now I can tell what almost all the breeds are by their coloring and comb size now. All of the Mediterranean breed boys have HUGE red combs for their age! And my Speckled Sussex boys' aren't much smaller!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by