Still trying to figure out a dust bath!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sammbalina, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Sammbalina

Sammbalina Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    Shelby County, AL
    I was wondering what you all thought of this for a dust bath? The only ingredient I have any consern about is the carbon, Is that safe for quail? I was also considering EcoEarth mixed with reptile sand?

I am NOT going to use DE or play sand. I have a sensitive respiratory system so can’t do DE and play sand causes cancer!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    TwoCrows likes this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I have chickens & their dust bath consists of the dirt/shavings in their enclosure. I do sprinkle DE as a :fl preventative for mites. When I first got started purchased sand, topsoil, peat moss and other stuff to make their "bath" ... Ended up tossing it on the ground cause they bathe where ever they want.

@TwoCrows @Texas Kiki

itsy gritsy and TwoCrows like this.
  3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    That could work. The carbon is probably activated carbon, which helps to absorb smells.
    All chickens need for a dust bath is loose dirt, and that's loose dirt. You could also use sandy soil from outside if you have naturally sandy soil.

4. Sammbalina

Sammbalina Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    Shelby County, AL
    My quail are in a wire-floored hutch up off the ground, so they can’t dust bath wherever. Plus, I don’t have natural soil, I have clay and live at the bottom of a mountain in a fancy pants neighborhood, so the little bit of dirt we do have is probably contaminated with chemicals.

I had also thought of using organic potting mix.

ChickNanny13 and TwoCrows like this.
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Since wood ash is safe to add into a dust bath, I would say the carbon is likely safe as well since there would be carbon in wood ash.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word!

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't see a problem with the reptile soil. The carbon will probably do them good, what little is in it.

Organic potting soil is fine too. Avoid potting soils with perlite in it.

itsy gritsy and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    When using potting soil, check to make sure there's no fertilizer in it.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word!

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    :goodpost:

9. Anorakei

Anorakei In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2018
    I've seen my quail do baths in their substrate, which is just small wood chippings. Your thing should be fine.

In their sandbox I use bird sand, which they appear to prefer over their substrate. A nice thing about sand is that you can run it through a sieve to clean out any droppings instead of having to throw all of it away. (Ofc you should still replace it every so often, sieving just allows you to get way more mileage out of your sand than you would otherwise.)

I expect reptile sand would work too. A nice bonus with bird sand is that it often contains grit that the birds might swallow for extra calcium/better digestion.

10. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Oh, yeah, reptile sand could work.
    However, reptile sand should NOT be used with reptiles! It has a lot of calcium in it, and if/when they ingest it while feeding, it can clog them up really badly. Most desert lizards that people keep on sand (leopard geckoes, bearded dragons) live on hard-packed soil in the wild, not soft sand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: