1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still trying to figure this out.... overwhelmed!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by justacouplemorechicks, Jun 10, 2011.

1. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    Here is a picture of my chicks. I have read everything I can get my hands on but I still can't decide what I have...
    Got them at TSC April 28th and they told me they were "fancy breeds." No one there could help me at all.
    I think I have all hens.... hopefully!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    [​IMG]

I know at the very least, you have two barred rocks. One female (left), one male (right).

3. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I see 2 barred rocks a buff orpington and a rhode island red. Not sure on the white one.

4. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Buff Orpoington, perhaps Rhode Island Red, Dominique? (the front onedepending on the comb, can't see clearly what type it is) and Bared Rock or Cuckoo Maran. Not sure about the white one.

5. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    How old R they? maybe 2 barred rocks? I think I see 2 roos? Could the white one be a leghorn? Red one a RIR? And a Buff something. [​IMG] I'm just guessing..not to good at these things. [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Okay, left to right, I see a barred rock pullet, a barred rock cockeral, the white one in the back is maybe a white leghorn pullet, the red one I can't tell enough but looks like it may be a cockeral, that's still a lot of comb for that age, as for breed it's a rhode island or production red, and the gold bird is a buff orpington cockeral.
    edited--okay, you added more pics while I was typing, the red bird really looks like a boy. They're about a month old, right?

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I see pullet leghorn
    RIR could be roo-need better head shot
    2 barred rocks 1 pullet 1 roo - yellow legs and single comb
    Buff Orpington looks like a roo

8. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I believe that if that is a Buff Orpington, it is also a cockerel along with the lighter colored Barred Plymouth Rock. My BO is about the same age with a tiny light colored comb and barely any waddles.

9. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    They are at least 7 weeks old... wouldn't someone be trying to crow??
    They cluck and coo...

Thanks for all your help. I thought a Rhode Island Red & the two barred rocks... I was afraid one would be male and the other female since their coloring was different. Shucks!!
    I was thinking a leghorn for the white but I have no idea about the buff colored... I was hoping for the orpington.

Oh.... I just figured out what waddles are..... duh!!![​IMG]

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Some times it can take up to 6 or 7 months before they crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by