still trying to ID silkie color

tallyho

Songster
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
I'm still wondering about this guy's color...is he splash? Could he be silver patridge? Isn't that just a fancy name for grey? Look at the color on the back of his neck. He came out of either BBS eggs or cuckoo eggs (I know, impossible). That's what was supposedly in the incubator. He's not my from my eggs; he's from shipped BYC'er eggs. That's why I don't know much about his breeding.

66241_silver_silkie_010.jpg
66241_silver_silkie_2_007.jpg

66241_silver_silkie_2_011.jpg
66241_silver_silkie_2_001.jpg

66241_silver_silkie_2_004.jpg

Its a miscolored blue...lots of silver leakage already showing up. Grey and silver partridge have pencilling on the gals and defined patterns of color on the males. Cute lil pet bird....

There is no such color as blue/splash. It would be either blue or splash and they appear very different. Since blue is a dilution of black, the shade and lacing (difficult to see on a silkie) can vary tremendously from pale silver through a dark blue. There is also the possiblity that there is some birchin in the history which is allowing a lighter color hackle to show through. Splash birds would display a much more mottled feathering that would include white, black and various shades of blue.

Its due to lack of melanizers... You see it alot on blacks too and it will be either silver or gold. Its a DQ in the show ring... Personally no I would not use it for breeding. That's alot of leakage already at a very young age. On some of the much older roosters you will see just a couple threads of miscolor in the hackles due to decreasing testosterone production. Its going to be passed down to any of its male offspring and can be carried through the females too.

Back
Top Bottom