Still trying to sex my muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keyt1969, Sep 26, 2012.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted last week with a pic of my chocolate muscovy baby trying to figure out if she was male or female. The breeder sexed her as female and so did I but now I'm starting to wonder. I tried to get shots of her/him next to my others but that's not exactly easy! lol

[​IMG]

Here she/he is with my other female muscovy.

[​IMG]

Here she/he is with my other male.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I would say male because of the size difference from the female. Since you have a male already listen to them (the boys huff), the males also size wise are much larger, have thicker legs too.

3. keyt1969

That's what I was afraid of. Bummer! So far he and my other male get along so hopefully it stays that way!

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    In your second pic where is the female? in reference to the one your trying to ID

To help some reference shots, this is my one drake(he's 1yo from Aug) and my duck(she's 1.5+yrs) he's obviously on the left, she's on the right... aren't they cute they like to do a fly out several times a day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. keyt1969

The all white one is the female in my pics. I love your drake!!

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you! he's a real pest.

Um, yeah i can see how the one in question is appearing larger than the other duck that said it has an awfully short leg for a drake? That is my biggest complaint about 'scovies they hide their genders so very well. I'm sorry were probably driving you just more crazy with trying to sort it out, by 3mths voices can be of help, drakes don't quack/honk in this breed.. but usually sizing is what gives it away best mind you ducks can vary, i have a few that are more petite than others. i tried to see what i had for pics but none that clear for girls.

ETa; how old is the white duck?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. keyt1969

Yes sexing is so much easier with my other breeds!!

The white one, Penny is 2.5 years old.

8. keyt1969

So is my other male, Penguin

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Okay, she is definitely mature then. That is troublesome while ducks sizes do vary, by the pictures the 'duck in question'(LOL) appears to be much to large for a 3mth old, i find by having adults be near the babies it really knocks it out of the park for gender, when the majority of my last hatches legs exceeded the height of their 'mother' i knew the chances of them being ducks was slim.

10. keyt1969

Sadly, I'm sure that Cocoa is a drake. I chased all 3 of them down and picked them up. Penguin and Cocoa make the same hissing sounds while Penny honks.

Hopefully I wasn't wrong about the sex of the other two! They're about 6 weeks old now. I guess I'll see in a few more weeks. I would hate for them to be male too since I'm very attached to them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by