Still unsure about 6 1/2 month old BLRW's gender.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by reveriereptile, Dec 16, 2008.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    It looks like a roo but has never crowed/fight/or try to breed unlike my other roos from the same age group. The comb doesn't seem to dark either but the feathers look pointed.

Here's a picture from two days ago.
    [​IMG]

Here are some pictures I took a couple months back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    Some of those feathers are definitely pointed. Hips look wide tho. Have you tried the hand test?

3. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

Watch this video, try it and let us know if it helps...

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I think it's a roo & so low on the pecking order or immature, that he isn't crowing or acting like a man (happens all the time). I bet that would change if you put him in his own pen with some girls [​IMG]

5. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree with dani, maybe he's so low on the pecking order that the others aren't letting him eat. That would definitely cause him to not mature.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    He's definitely a boy. His coloring, his shiny, pointy feathers...

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Thats a boy. They do take a while to mature though.[​IMG]

8. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've never tried the hand test before. I love the Dirty Jobs show. He eats all the time. I block the bigger chickens from the food to let the younger ones eat first to avoid them pecking each other. Especially when they were outside the older ones would walk out in the camel field and eat the camel's grain while the others would stay in a certain area. I have about 5-6 roos at the moment. Only one of them is older. About 15 pullets/hens. I do remember that when he was only a few days old I picked him up cause he was the cutest chick and it would bite as hard as he could and not let go. First time I ever got bit by a baby chick.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That looks like a boy, but my BLRW girls have bigger comb and waddles and they are 6 mos old too.

ETA:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  10. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I believe you have a roo there. All of my hens are shorter then my roos. Your boy has the same pointy feather's my boy's do!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by