Still unsure about 6 1/2 month old BLRW's gender.

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
It looks like a roo but has never crowed/fight/or try to breed unlike my other roos from the same age group. The comb doesn't seem to dark either but the feathers look pointed.

Here's a picture from two days ago.
blw.jpg

Here are some pictures I took a couple months back.
go.jpg

og1.jpg

I think it's a roo & so low on the pecking order or immature, that he isn't crowing or acting like a man (happens all the time). I bet that would change if you put him in his own pen with some girls
wink.png

I agree with dani, maybe he's so low on the pecking order that the others aren't letting him eat. That would definitely cause him to not mature.

I've never tried the hand test before. I love the Dirty Jobs show. He eats all the time. I block the bigger chickens from the food to let the younger ones eat first to avoid them pecking each other. Especially when they were outside the older ones would walk out in the camel field and eat the camel's grain while the others would stay in a certain area. I have about 5-6 roos at the moment. Only one of them is older. About 15 pullets/hens. I do remember that when he was only a few days old I picked him up cause he was the cutest chick and it would bite as hard as he could and not let go. First time I ever got bit by a baby chick.

That looks like a boy, but my BLRW girls have bigger comb and waddles and they are 6 mos old too.

ETA:

flatstanley021.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom