still waiting at 27 weeks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henryhoe, Oct 18, 2011.

1. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    My girls are all 27 weeks now, 4 rirs and 1 light sussex. the light sussex had been squatting for 2 weeks now, but still no eggs. cant understand it, they are all heathy and happy and there is no way that they are hiding their eggs!! It has been very windy here in northern ireland last fewdays could that cause a delay?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    if there are no hidden nests...then patience...its hardest waiting for that first egg!
    Keep them locked in the coop a bit longer in the morning...that way they will lay in the boxes...
    you can place some fake eggs or golf balls in the boxes to encourage them to go in also.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    They will lay when they're ready. It may take a few more weeks even if they are squatting although I suspect you'll have an egg in just a few days. It is hard trying to be patient!

I had a speckled sussex that took 40 weeks to lay - good thing she's personable!

4. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:I do keep them locked in in the morning, and have golf balls in the boxes!! Just have to wait i think, but it is so hard!!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What is their feed?
    Egg laying is photo stimulated. I'm sure Northern Ireland has much shorter day lengths now. At that age, If you have electricity in the coop I'd add lights on a timer to kick it up to 12 to 14 hours of light a day. It doesn't have to be bright, just light enough to read a newspaper at roost height.
    ETA
    When they're over 20 weeks this time of year and I add light I get an egg after about a week they usually all start up in another week.
    Keeping them locked up also diminishes the light getting to them. If you can't add light I'd let them out at dawn to increase their light.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You keep them locked where? My chickens don't lay until late morning/early afternoon.. Locking them up wouldn't help anything. Spend a Saturday with them to see where they go (if they do) to lay. Sounds like your squatting chicken should be laying. Especially at 27 weeks!

7. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    They eat layers mash, some scraps from kitchen, black sunflower seeds and grass! We are getting about 10 and half- 11 hours light a day (it will get worse) I dont have light in their bed, cause i dont want to force them!!
    Does it mean because they are not getting enough light that they will not start to lay, or does it mean that they will start but i wont get eggs every day? (if that makes any sense)

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I've heard that it doesn't really matter for chickens coming into lay. They will lay with 10 hours of light a day.

9. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:What i ment was they are locked in their large run and they dont free range until afternoon!

They get daylight from dawn cause their run is chicken wired all over!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Make sure they don't have mites, lice or worms. With over 10 hours light RIRs should be laying at 27 weeks. Also make sure the layer feed makes up at least 90% of their diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by