1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still Waiting for Eggs....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bharris5312, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Bharris5312

Bharris5312 New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Hi,

My hens are 24-26 weeks old and have not started laying yet.

I live in northern California so its not too cold. They are fed like queens daily and still nothing. My kids poke fun at me when I'm in the coop and say any eggs yet? (They know I would come running in the house if I found one) So any suggestions to get these girls laying or should I just figure for the spring.

Impatiently waiting for that first egg.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    What breed are they? How is the set up, nest box area and such? Do they sit in the nest boxes yet? Some do not lay until 8 months or so. If you put fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes, it helps. Good luck! I will be "egg cited" for your first egg too! We got 20 eggs today![​IMG]

3. Bharris5312

Bharris5312 New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    I have a Barred Rock, Sultan and an easter egger. (First time chicken owner and went with cute[​IMG]).

They have a 7' long coop with nesting boxes separate from their sleeping area. They sit up in the nesting boxes all the time. I haven't put a fake egg in their boxes but I guess I could try that.

Man, if I walked out and saw 20 eggs I wouldn't know what to do. I'm just hoping to find 1 someday soon. :)

Thanks for the advice.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Cool! Good luck! We have 2 barred rocks. They are good layers and 5 easter eggers. I don't think they have started laying yet, just got them this past April or May. They should be starting any day. Most of my eggs come from our Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, and my 2 Olive Eggers[​IMG]. We have a handful of other breeds as well that contribute.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    24-26 weeks is prime time for onset of lay in most breeds.
    Tho the long nights/short days may push that out until the days start to significantly lengthen.

Are they sleeping in the nest boxes or just checking them out during the day?
    Are their combs and wattles getting redder?
    Do they 'squat' down when you go to pet them?
    Those are a few of signs they might be close to laying......
    .....except sleeping in the nests, that's not good - bad habit you want to break soonest.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by