1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still Waiting for First Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drom, Jan 22, 2009.

1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    My pullets will be 7 months on this Sunday and still haven't laid their first eggs yet. They are very healthy birds, have good weight, shiny feathers and seem happy. So, I am wondering why the delay. Has anyone had pullets who waited this late to lay? [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends on the breed. Seven months wouldn't be considered unusual for late maturing breeds. I have brahmas - a slow to mature breed. The last two of my hens to start laying waited until they were around 9 months old.

3. fog town chik

fog town chik New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    california
    some times they are late bloomers patience says i.
    ps im new and i dont know how to post threads. help please?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:First, find the category that best suits your question or comment. Click on that category. At the top and bottom of the page, on the right hand side you'll see a yellow button that says post new topic. Click on it. It will take you to a page where you can fill in the blanks for your question/comment - try to be as specific as possible in your wording your title to get the most replies.
    Use the preview button at the bottom - recommended and if everything looks good, click submit.
    Welcome to BYC.
    P.S. The post new topic button is only there when you are in the category, but not on an individual thread, like this one.

5. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Oh, just click on the Index and choose the category topic you want to post in and click on that when you get to the main page for the category click on the yellow button in the upper right hand corner that says post new topic and then type your title in and type away

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some 32+weekers that still have not layed. Have you noticed a change in there combs and wattles. Like getting redder?

7. fog town chik

fog town chik New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    california
    Quote:Oh, just click on the Index and choose the category topic you want to post in and click on that when you get to the main page for the category click on the yellow button in the upper right hand corner that says post new topic and then type your title in and type away

much apreciated!

8. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Yes, their combs are red and they are not floppy but they are getting a little wavy, so I keep checking the nest boxes but there's nothing. [​IMG]
    It's weird because the other people who have pullets from this same line of birds didn't wait this long and most of the other people who have this breed (they are BC Marans) are getting their eggs at around 5 months.

I was kind of wondering if the Roosters being in the coop with my pullets is causing too much of a distraction or something. But they are all from the same clutch and were raised together so I don't think they are stressed or anything from having the Roosters around.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'm no expert, but I would say it is because they hatched later in the year. Mine shut down for the winter, so yours probably "shut down" their egg producing parts too, which meant they shut down maturing. They will probably start laying in Feb or March, (or April, May, June, somthing like that.) [​IMG]

10. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Ahahahhaha [​IMG] Oh, well. Maybe they are just little freeloaders. [​IMG]

You are probably exactly right, [​IMG] they got to 5 months right when the days were the shortest of the year. So maybe they did just shut down operations for the winter

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by