1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still Waiting on eggs to arrive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BooBear, Nov 15, 2010.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    as they were scheduled to be delivered today. I called the USPS and the guy told me that because the eggs were shipped by Priority Mall they do not guarentee the time of the arrival of the shipment. He said that if I wanted the eggs to arrive on time they should have been shipped by Express. This guy was a bit rude too.
    Ugh...I am just frustrated.

The gal I bought the eggs from said she was collecting them on Tuesday and would ship them either Wednesday or Thursday. Well as Thursday was a holiday the eggs did not get shipped til Friday. According to the rep from USPS if the eggs arrive in 5 USPS working days then they should be here hopefully on this Wednesday. As the eggs need to settle about 10 to 24 hrs how much am I loosing the fertility ratio on them?

Has anyone ever tried shipping the hatching eggs by a different courier source such as FEDEX, DHL, or UPS? I do not mind paying for the overnite shipment if the courier gets them to me intact and in a timely manner.

Sorry for the rant just feeling a bit upset with the rude USPS service.[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ah the wonderful postal service. I am very lucky to have very kind and caring carriers here. They see hatching eggs on the side of the box and hand carry them to me. But who knows what goes on in the trip across the country!

They are good for up to 10 days from being laid. After that, it's possible, just not probable.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I am really worried about the eggs arriving OK especially after reading other folks horror story posts about late shipments and damaged boxes.
    Hopefully the postal workers do not play tag football with them.......[​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I have purchased eggs several times. Sometimes they are all broken, sometimes they arrive ok and none hatch and sometimes they arrive ok and many hatch. It is a crap shoot.

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    sighs....yep I understand the gamble. The frustration side of it sucks though. Hopefully my eggs will arrive tomorrow. I really want to get a good hatch out of them and yeah this is my first time buying and hatching. I will be happy to get a 30 to 50% hatch for the first time; but, I do know that this is a high risk project.

These are Silkie eggs from reesepoultry. Her birds looked very nice in her pictures so the chicks should grow into lovely birds.
    Here's to crossing all fingers n toes.

Thanks for posting back. Talking it out helps.

6. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:You sound like me! I ordered eggs from a fellow byc'r and I am a first timer buying and hatching! I recieved my eggs a few weeks ago with no cracks or anything! They were just a little on the dirty side.. [​IMG] But anyway the are in the bator and lockdown is on Wed. and so far 5/12 are going strong so Im pretty happy with that!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope I made you at least a little bit more confident!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by