Still waiting on shipped eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BorderKelpie, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    At what point should I get worried? I received an email telling me my eggs would be here on 8 April. Well, it's the 10th now and I have called to PO three times. They are still not here. Will they survive and for how long? I am worried about the temperature fluctuations we have been having (isn't Spring fun?) I am being a pain about them, I know, but I have never ordered eggs before and I want to make sure everything works as smoothly as possible.
    Thanks!

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I'll make you feel better.....in nature, a hen will lay in the nest until she has a clutch of 10, 12, even 15 or more and then she begins to do the "sitting" process. But while those eggs are just lying in the nest, accumilating, they experience the everyday changes of humidity and temps....both day and night. So, it's not the temps you worry about, but rather the handling that can rumpture the air cell.

Now, I have a trio of Seramas that were shipped Monday and if they I don't get a phone call in the next half hour....I'm going Postal. Make me feel better. [​IMG]

3. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Thank you, this is driving me nuts!
    I hope your birds get here now. Best wishes!

4. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    And I hope you get your eggs. My small town post office calls me when my eggs are there, make sure they have your number and perhaps you can pick them up at the PO so they won't have to make the haul...starting, stopping, and getting jarred around during the carrier's route. I do hope you get them today.

Things like this, that are out of your control, IS the worst. Good egg wishes coming your way. [​IMG]

5. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I have called and/or stopped by the PO every day. They have my cell #, my work # and my DD's cell #. The eggs are STILL not here. I am now hoping for Monday. That will put them at one week in transit - so much for express shipping. I am also going to email the person I purchased them from to let him know what's going on (or not going on as the case may be). Maybe he has a tracking # or something. *sigh* I am worried about the little embryos, My youngest DD and I have been so very looking forward to this. Maybe I just need a life.

I was wondering if your birds ever made it home. I couldn't help but feel sorry for them. Three little birds in a box all scared. Poor babies. Are they home and ok now, I hope.

6. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I'm waiting on eggs too [​IMG] I was hoping to set them tommorrow, but the PO disagreed lol. I have gotten 3 of 4 boxes. why couldn't that last one come today. Hopefully we both get our eggs monday, safe and sound.

7. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Being that tomorrow is Easter, I think the PO ought to deliver them to us. [​IMG]
    I am not too horribly old to want Easter hatching eggs. Wouldn't that be fun?
    Best wishes with yours, maybe we will both get eggs Monday and can hatch together!

8. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    HMM I wander if anyone will be at the PO tommorrow. Can't hurt to call lol. If someones there and the eggs are I would think they would let us pick them up.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's crazy. My eggs from Dipsy Doodle Doo got to AZ from South Carolina in 2 days.

It took 3 days for my eggs from Houston to arrive.

It took almost 8 days for my eggs from Michigan to arrive. Go figure!

10. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Did you tade with someone or did u buy from a catalog? I swapped eggs with someone, i sent mine out and got a tracking number. i know that they got them, turns out all in one piece! YES they had the nerve to email me and let me know that every single one was developing(31 eggs) BUT they never sent me mine. That was 2 weeks ago, almost, 3, there was many calls to the post office to see if they were there yet because he kept feeding me a line of bull. It was my first egg trade & I GOT DOOPED! Hope it didnt happen to you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by