still wondering about a few..any ideas on breed/gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AConk81, Aug 27, 2013.

1. AConk81

AConk81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That one is about 14 and a half weeks old. I'm concerned because of the comb/wattles...should they really be this big/red so soon? she/he has had them for a while and they don't really seem to be getting any redder..but they are growing a little.

[​IMG]

Here's a full shot of that one, from behind. I'm also not sure what kind of chicken it even is. I was originally thinking silver laced cochin..when it was younger but now I am not sure. The black one too..I am pretty sure is a pullet, but no idea on breed on that one.

[​IMG] Another shot of the one that I don't know what it is OR what gender...and the black one that I think is a pullet but have no idea on breed. The black one is about 15-16 weeks.

[​IMG] The one standing here I know is a rooster, he's been crowing. But then there is the one that's in the lower corner...that one is not crowing...and is the same age (12 weeks) but the comb is kind of red plus it's tail looks roosterish.

[​IMG]

This is that one standing....the feathers in the tail really have me starting to worry.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The black and white one is a mix and I want to say a rooster, the all black one is a pullet what type of comb does she have? The second white one looks like a pullet, I have had some pullets get tail feathers like that and end up molting them out to a normal hen's tail.

3. AConk81

AConk81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks, I keep hoping that the black and white one will turn out to be a hen...but I've been thinking rooster for a while now. It doesn't act like the other rooster though..and it's still not crowing. The black one seems to have a single comb, it's really small and black right now with a little pink starting to show.

My husband said he thought similar with the white one...that maybe the tail will eventually become normal since otherwise it doesn't seem to be developing like the other white one. I only have 11 hens..I can't have three roosters...so I keep hoping I only have one...but that doesn't seem very likely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by