Still wondering what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lovable Chicks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I thought I had a RIR. But lately we have noticed puffy cheeks....like a EE get but I don't think she is a EE cus she has yellow legs????

It is a she right??

About 8 weeks and do U think she is a Bantam?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    EEs can have yellow legs, so I would say you have an Easter egger pullet. [​IMG]

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Production Red (What hatcherys call RIR but they are Production Reds.)
    EE's do not have Yellow legs. Every single EE I have seen have green or blue legs not yellow.

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    What type of comb does she have? It does not appear to be a single comb from what I can see in the pictures. With the muff and a pea comb it seems unlikely that she would be a RIR, even though her legs are pretty yellow.
    My best guess is an EE mixed with a RIR. Where did you get her from?

5. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    EE's do not have Yellow legs. Every single EE I have seen have green or blue legs not yellow.

Even the worst quality of Production red shouldn't have a pea comb like what you see there, not do they have a beard. That's an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers are not a breed, but a 'mutt' for lack of a better term; the definition of Easter Egger is any mixed breed of chicken that has a blue egg gene in it's ancestry, no matter what the blue egg layer is bred to it still classifies as an Easter Egger. Thus why this one can have yellow legs and still be an Easter Egger. [​IMG]

6. Lovable Chicks

Jun 23, 2010

I thought so too but went and looked at my older EE's... Look at 'Momma' she is a EE and lays a blue egg

[​IMG]

Thanks for wakening me up and making me look. I think she may be bantam though.

THANKS!!​

7. Lovable Chicks

Jun 23, 2010
    I bought her from a pet store who ordered her in from a hatchery (not sure what one though)

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Birdnut is 100% correct. EE's are actually not a 'breed', but a dilution of the Ameraucana/Araucana breeds. So hatcheries can go nuts and do whatever they want, and still call it an EE (though they love to lie and just call them Ameraucanas too).

The ideal look to an EE is a muff, pea comb, green leggs, and lays blue/green eggs. However, you can mix, match, substitute, and slurry any of these features with other chicken breeds, and still call it an EE.

For example: You can have a straight combed, no muffed, green legged bird that lays brown eggs. The hatchery would still call it an EE. You could also have a pea combed, yellow legged, muffed bird who lays brown eggs. Still an EE. The combos go on and on. Essentially they will call it an EE all the way up to the point where it doesn't have ANY of the desirable EE features.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Production Reds don't have beard/muffs.
    EE's do not have Yellow legs.

EE's can have any color legs, any type of comb, lay any color egg, can have a beard/muff or not and have any color plumage.
    Here is a bad picture of one of my EE's that has Yellow legs and feathered shanks, she lays a dark olive green egg. (she is out of my breeding)
    Please excuse the mud it was raining the day I took the picture.
    [​IMG]

I also have a EE hen out of another breeding that is solid black, single comb, black legged and gipsy faced, non-bearded/muffed and lays a light green.

Chris​

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Her downward pointed tail tells me she has EE in her but not the legs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by