Still wondering

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cynthia12, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    about when a hen blushes. I have one that was hatched in April..still no eggs, but she is blushing a bright red now. It seems to be staying longer than it used to. My question is, do all hens keep that red, or do some always go back and forth with the red blushing, then to pink. I know different birds...different strokes..
    I also have another one that is starting to blush, but she is also the only one that has made the egg song..just a couple of times now, then stopped. Haven't heard it for about 6 days? Come on already little ladys.
    Any one else have hens that blush back and forth, and are getting eggs?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Usually one should go red, lay eggs, stay red. However I have known girls to go red, then go pink again (even have their combs sort of deflate) or go red, lay, then stop and go pink again, then lay and red again. . .

However in your case, one that goes red and won't lay for some time. . . Is probably just a late bloomer. My Jersey Giants have been red and large in the comb for weeks now and I just today got my first Jersey Giant egg. (an unmistakable pink tone, even against my light brown eggs)

You just gotta have patience. [​IMG]

3. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My barred rocks did that for a few weeks--maybe 2-3. One just started laying on 9-27-10(Monday), and she has a much less developed comb than the other BR that hasn't started yet. She only started the egg song AFTER laying though. Then today I got one more egg from her, and another first from an Easter Egger of the same age--also the egg song AFTER. So I'm sure you are CLOSE!

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Hey thanks, I keep telling myself that I'm getting close to getting that first egg.

And, congrats. on your egg to the both of you! Lucky!! [​IMG]

5. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It seems to vary. My RIR (most mature) stays red. My BO that started laying yesterday gets red or pink depending on the activity.

What I think is odd, is that sometimes when I hold them in my lap talking chicken, their color slowly drains, some completely. What's up with that!?

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    well I thought my brahma was red, and ready to lay, and she finally did yesterday but when I looked at her last night when i got home I saw the difference, it wasn't just red it was like a florescent red, I looked at my other girls and yes they were all that red never noticed before, they were nearly purple, its not just red I don't know if I've explained this very well but I'm sure you get the pic.

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:See, I remember my first flock going all red. I don't remember them going back and forth with the blushing. And yes, I do notice that activity will make my two oldest more red..then I look back a few mins. later, and they are just pink again. Darn! I'm hoping they will stay red, or like the person posted..just lay an egg...pink or red, I'll take the egg ladys..any day now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by