Still wondering...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Runa101, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Runa101

Runa101 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    When do male Muscovy ducks get bigger than other ducks? We have 3 Muscovy ducks, 15.5 weeks old, and they are all still smaller than our other ducks, all full grown, Welsh Harlequins and a Black Swede. If they're males, should they be bigger by now? We did have to clip their wings a couple of weeks ago because they were flying quite well. So now they're stuck safe at home, but we still don't know if they're boys or girls!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    At that age drakes should be about 25 % larger than the hens. You may very well have 3 Muscovy hens. A picture would help with gender ID.

3. Runa101

Aug 11, 2014
    I posted some pictures of them here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919717/muscovy-ducklings-males-or-females/10

They are about 12 weeks old in those pictures, 3 Muscovy ducks and a Welsh Harlqeuin in the foreground, other ducks in back. they're still smaller than the Harlequins and Black Swede, but I don't have any more recent pictures. I'll try to get some in the next few days and post them. Do the 12 week old pictures help at all? They all do seem to be the same sex, all the same size.

4. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    I was going to post a picture to show the difference but the editor refuses to allow me to do so—no button. Maybe later. Yours do look very much like all females.

5. Runa101

Aug 11, 2014
    All females would be very nice. We use a lot of duck eggs but have no desire for any more ducklings.

6. Onlyducks

Apr 16, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These are two pictures of my five females and one male. The size difference is not quite as obvious in photos as when just looking at the ducks. My male also has the much more caruncle on his face than the females. These were supposed to be adult birds when I got them, but some of the females did get a bit larger after I had them for a few months.

7. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Definitely 5 females and a male. Maybe he's just a small male?

8. Onlyducks

Apr 16, 2014
    He could be a small male. He is smaller than I have read the males would be. When I bought them, I wanted five females. The breeder gave us the male for free—he had way too many males and wanted to get rid of them. This was the first one he caught, so that's one we ended up with!

9. Runa101

Aug 11, 2014
    Thanks, those are very helpful photos! I hadn't realized how different the caruncles were on
    male and female, and the male's neck looks thicker too. How old are your ducks? All three
    of ours look more like the females in your pictures.

10. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Is there anyway to tell when there a week or 2 old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by