Still won't go into coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Teresaann24, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My 9 to 4 month old chicks still wont go into there coops. The older ones go to the door to roost but no further and the younger ones don't go into it at all. Im thinking of adding a door to the coop and going everynight and placing them inside and closing the door then in the mornings opening the coop door and making them use the ramps to come out. After doing this awhile what I am wondering will this break them to going into the coop at roosting. Im very worried its been raining for 2 days now yesterday instead of going into the coop they stood in the rain and was soak. Rain stopped for awhile today and sun came out check out the chicks everyone was dry and not acting sick but it began raining again tonight and its kinda chilly out there. I'm just hoping noone gets sick on me.

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I would just keep on putting them in by their door. They will get it after a few nights.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Did you lock them in the hen house for at least a week before letting them out? Whenever we do that, we have no problems getting any of the flock to go inside at night.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Its been about 2 weeks now and they still havent gone inside. I am just going to try putting them in everynight for a week or so and making them come out on there own into the run in the mornings I am hoping this will get them into the routine of this and so when roosting time comes they will go in the coop. I mean I still have some work to do on the coop before winter some more insulating and venulating but I don't got much work to do on it.

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Have you locked them in the coop for a few days? That's the standard advice I've heard around here - mine march right into their coop every night at dusk, no chasing required! [​IMG]

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:You know i didnt even think of that I just finished the coop and run and put them in it thinking they would just go inside...Is it too late to try this or can I still do it?

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Lock them in there day and night or just everynight for a week or so?

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Day and night. For a few days. Mine were in there for a week before I let them out for the first time. The coop is big, 10x10', so they can stay in there for long periods of time if they have to.

9. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Lock them in day and night for several days, then open the door and let them come out on their own. This teaches them that the coop is home--it's where they are supposed to sleep. This should solve the lion's share of your problem.

10. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    I had the same problem with my 6 (13 wk olds).

They would walk up the plank to the chicken door and sit there and would not go in just as it was getting dark. I gently pushed all 6 through the door. Went through the big door and placed each on the roost. I shut the door and hoped for the best.

My husband installed lights on the second night and they were still sitting in the same place. I turned on the light and the girls seemed to be a little nervous, but decided to go in on their own.

By night three, they figured it out. I went out and turned on the light... and like monkey-see, monkey-do, they all went in side. I gave them about five to ten minutes to settle while I straightened out the run. Turned out the light and all were in bed.

Do not be discouraged, give them a bit of help coming and going through the door you want them too. Be persistant, but patient and it will pay off.

Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by