Still worried about integrating.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Sep 20, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi everyone,

I have 8 girls that are almost 17 weeks old, and have 3 EE's that are 8 weeks old. I have been putting the chicks in the garden on days that I am home, (it is connected to the other hens run) so they can see each other. Today I put the chicks in the run with the other girls, and had them in a dog carrier, then I opened it so they could come out if they wanted to, and go back in if the other girls started to peck at them. WELL, as soon as one of the chicks came out, one of the bigger girls would RUN over and peck them really hard! I am really worried about how I am going to integrate these chickens together. They do not free range. Should I just let them keep seeing each other, and just wait until the EE's are as big as the others? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Kerry

2. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    IMO the chicks need to be nearly as big as the older chickens before you can feel safe letting them out with them. Maybe another month?

3. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    I just integrated 2 pullets that are about the same size as my 24 week old pullets. Even though they are about the same size, they do get picked on some. I have a BR that is the biggest bully and have removed her for a couple of days. Just make sure they are about the same size. It is hard enough even then.[​IMG]

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It willl take awhile for everyone to work out where they are in the order. As the smallest, they will naturally be at the bottom. Go slow, Don't rush it or your chicks will get hurt. When making new chick introductions, I set up a "nursery" fenced in area inside my chicken yard once they are fully feathered. That way, they are safe from the adults but have space to try their wings as well as to get used to being outside. (Like an over protective mom, I still bring them back in the house at dusk. I sometimes do this for a week or two) Once I notice that the adults have lost all interest in the newcomers, I set up a cage inside the coop to move the chicks into at night but still move them to the "nursery" during the day. Maybe another two weeks of doing this. During this time, they have supervised visits with the adults off an on. The adults reactions helps me determine when the "nursery" area can be taken down for good. It helps if they are close to the size of the others, but if you go one step at a time over an extended period, the adults see them as less of a threat and accept them into the group (even if they are only half the size) and it is much safer for your chicks. It is the best feeling ever to see your new additions scratching in the dirt next to the others. Hope this helps.

5. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thank you everybody for the great info! I knew I could count on you to help me out!!!!

Kerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by