Stillborn egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sassah001, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Sassah001

Sassah001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Newman Lake WA
    I am midhatch right now, 2 of my 5 have hatched. I candled the last three:

Egg 1 has one dark end and one light end but nothing moving
    Egg 2 has a chick in it but it is very small and not really swimming around
    Egg 3 doesn't have anything going on

Whats going on with egg one? is egg 2 stillborn? I need to know whether or not to take her eggs from her!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ideally, if you are mid hatch, you should leave the eggs be. Even if under a hen, it is best to leave the eggs be from day 18-22 as any change in humidity can jeopardize their ability to hatch by drying out membranes. Since it sounds like they are under a hen, were the eggs all started on the same day? If they were not all started on the same day, some could be a bit behind. From the description, sounds like either the eggs were not set on the same day, or that the remainders are quitters.

3. Sassah001

Sassah001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Newman Lake WA
    They were started on the same day. And they are under a hen. we are right in the middle of day 22 as of now. Should I pull them if after day 22 there still isn't anything?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would give it until tomorrow and then pull them all. Egg 2 and 3 are not going to make it for sure, but egg 1 might have a chance if for some reason it was asleep when you looked. I would venture to guess though that the the ones that haven't hatched wont. Congrats on the two babies you did get though!

5. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I had 6 eggs under a hen. One hatched out on the 25th and two more just hatched yesterday. They all looked viable on Tuesday, like they could be anytime as I could not see a thing in them .(all dark, but no movement.) I think I will just let them sit now till she gets up. I hope the other 3 hatch too, but I will wait and see, I would def take the one with nothing going on out and leave the other one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by