Stink Bomb Eggs?

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
So, I went to turn my eggs and got a whiff of a rotten egg. So, I took out each and every egg to sniff it. Found a real stinky one. Took it outside and broke it open... Looks like a normal supermarket egg...

I've never had a stink bomb, but didn't want an 'exploder' in the bator. Is that normal for them to just be yolks with no stink? Then again, it's windy and I was outside...

My first hatch ever had something similar. I got a funny smell from the bator. I picked each egg up and sniffed. It was day 16. Found the offendig egg, it really only smelled hard boiled(sulfur smell), it was infertile and must have been "slow cooking" in the bator
lol.png
. But it was enough of a smell to get me to notice.
Krista

Yeah, it did smell kinda like a hard boiled egg. There was no embryo in it, but it was a dark one I wasn't sure about. I didn't see veins when I candled it, but put it back and hoped for the best.

Yeah no embryo in mine either, chalked it up as infertile, local not shipped so I know that wasn't a factor. I think the ones that stop developing and not noticed are more likely to be a "bomb" and blow up as well as the bacterial rings, just what I have noticed. I'm not sure how long an infertile egg would take to blow up but as long as it is clean I think it would take quite a while, not that I want to test that out
wink.png

Krista

I've had some I haven't found until they're weeping, and then I'm worried it's going to be a hair-trigger egg mine. I'd have died if any of them had exploded when I tried to pick them up. I got one out once and got as far as the front door, then accidentally dropped it. My DH was MAD because the house smelled so bad!
lau.gif

I've read of a few people on her have them actually explode and ruin a whole batch. I'd cry if that happened to me.

that makes me want to just get rid of the 6 i think are bad... im new to this so im trying my best to find my good and bad eggs in the bator. There brown eggs so hard to see inside them. I know 2 have nothing growing and its all ready day 11. So im thinking of takeing them out tomorrow or so. and i have 2 that i think were growing but died cause there just a small dark area and not moving and not growing like the good ones. and one egg has just a small dark red dot in the middle im sure thats bad. and one egg looks like it has the red ring in it so thats bad to....

My first bad egg was like that too. I was hesitant to remove eggs the first time but really if they aren't developping the same as the others they aren't going to. They don't stop and go. If they look close to the others I wait 2 days and check again. If they haven't done anything for 2-4 days they won't and I remove them.

My 3 year old always insists on helping me in the hatching house with EVERYTHING. Well last winter I went through candling like 450 eggs at the speed of light, and tossing the bad ones. She said SHE wanted to put them in the garbage and I told her OK but not to NOT DROP, SQUEEEZE, OR TOSS them in the sack because they would explode. She was doing real good with gently placing them in the garbage sack, then POP one exploded as I handed it to her. GREEN, chunky, death smelling, stuff flew all over both of us. It was horrible trying to get her clothes off to bathe her without getting us even more stinky. I had to let her soak in the tub with LOTS of Mr. Bubble for 2 hours before I could get the stink off of her. I bathed in Lava soap first to get the first layer of skin off, then some Bath and Body works something that smelled to high Heaven. It's funny now, but you know, it sure wasn't at the time.

Back
Top Bottom