Stink bug invasion

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sezjasper, Sep 27, 2012.

1. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Good morning all...wondering how far the stink bug invasion has advanced in this country. It looks like they're worse this year than last...I've killed four so far today and I've only been up for an hour. They are covering my front door, trying to get in...so disgusting! Has anyone come up with a solution to get rid of them?!!

2. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I work in Calvert County, south of you... they are awful here too. Buzzing and landing all over you when you're outside. Ick!

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I hear you, I'm in Cecil county. Those things are all over the house trying to get in. A nice unintended consequence of the "GlobalEconomy" and especially wide open trade with China for this gift. I hear in 20yrs they're are going to have some kind of little wasp that kills them, Ha.
    Jack

4. sezjasper

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Yeah, then we'll be on here asking "does anyone know how to get rid of those dang wasps??" [​IMG]

5. Paradise Farm

Paradise Farm New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Rutherfordton, NC
    They're here in North Carolina!! They're all over the place!! Coming into my house crawling all over the place! What's going on? Why for the random invasion?

~ Sarah

6. hillbillyfarmer

hillbillyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Maryland
    I had them bad for years but did not have as many last year and have only seen 4 on the outside of the house so far this year. The way we have been dealing with them is using a shop vac with a drywall bag which I would use to clean ashes out of the wood stove and then go around the inside of the house and suck up all the stink bugs. Don't let any escape back outside in the spring to breed more. This took years but seems to have worked although I have noticed these tiny wasps in my house that I never seen before the past couple of days. Seem to have showed up the same time as those couple of stinkbugs I seen outside on the house so maybe they already have those wasps and they are responsible for their decline. I'm really glad not to have them so bad anymore.

7. Paradise Farm

Paradise Farm New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Rutherfordton, NC
    They're crawling all over the place in my house. It's rediculous how many I can point out now while I'm sitting on my couch. Thankfully they haven't spreaded their aroma around, God that'd be a mess!!

~Sarah

8. sezjasper

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Sarah, I feel your pain...LOL...I had no idea they had gotten as far as NC by now. One thing I've heard (not sure if it's true or not) is whenever possible try NOT to have them release that odor. Not only does it stink, but the smell also attracts more stink bugs to your house. As far as killing them goes, the only thing I've found that works is dishwashing detergent. I keep an old yogurt container half full of water with dishwashing soap added...use a plastic bag like a glove and pluck them off my door when I see them there (which is every time I walk by) then drop them in the water. The container and plastic bag make a real nice decorating statement when you enter my house LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by