Stink Bugs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsmom, Mar 22, 2011.

1. coltsmom

coltsmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I am new to this forum as well as to raising chicks. I am in VA and Stink bugs are now rampant. Darn I cannot stand bugs , but these things are all over. They are crawling in my brooder and the chicks are scared. Any advice is appreciated in advance. Front Royal , VA

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm surprised the chicks don't try and eat them. I don't know what to tell you on this, but I don't think it will hurt the chicks.

[​IMG]

3. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    First, welcome to BYC.

Second, try not to let the little ones eat bugs unless they are getting grit too.

Third, does anyone know if chickens will actually eat stink bugs?
    I heard that guinea keets (spelling ??) will eat them, but that was said by someone selling them.
    If it's true, I will fill my yard with keets, since they will have plenty to eat.

4. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I don't think *ANYTHING* eats stink bugs. The stink is what keeps 'em safe. I HATE THEM--they get all over my potato and bean plants and the birds won't touch 'em!

5. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    That's what I was thinking too.
    This morning the Baltimore news said that a woman (from Maryland) came up with a spray for stink bugs, but she's not saying what's in it because she is trying to get a patent.
    Good for her I know, but share with the rest of us for goodness sake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by