stink coming from bator. HELP.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennyhaschicks, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I had a rotten egg in my bator that I removed a few days ago. I am still smelling a smell from my bator. The egg I removed from the bator was weeping a bit, but didn't seem to get any liquid anywhere. I wiped down the screen where it was sitting.
    I wonder if I have another egg that is rotten. Should I candle them? Does the smell usually linger around this long from a weeping egg. Is there anything I should do?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I would individually sniff check every remaining egg. I have never had a rotten one so I don't know how long the smell can last, but I would check them to be safe.

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have been sniffing the eggs. The problem I have is that my sniffer does not work so well. Maybe I can get my daughter to sniff the eggs since her nose is stronger than mine. This is bugging me. [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree to the above check everyone. It would not hurt to candle them either.
    You can also wrap all the eggs in a warm towel and wipe the holw bator down.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    A rotten egg shouldn't leave a nasty smell in your bator... not for that long anyways. You've got another rotten one. Smell each one. You should find it right away, even with a 'not so hot' sniffer... [​IMG] Good luck.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    And truthfully, unless you're in the last 3 days of the hatch, it doesn't hurt them to cool down a bit. [​IMG] I had that happen with a batch of coturnix eggs... I had over 100 in there, and had to sniff-test all of them. [​IMG] I found 3 that were bad.

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

And truthfully, unless you're in the last 3 days of the hatch, it doesn't hurt them to cool down a bit. [​IMG] I had that happen with a batch of coturnix eggs... I had over 100 in there, and had to sniff-test all of them. [​IMG] I found 3 that were bad.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That made me gag Lol i could never do something like that i have a weak stomach...

Know wonder i candle my eggs more than 3 times during incubation

I hope you get it all work out and the smell go's away [​IMG]

8. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Ok we just sniffed eggs. All 27 of them. We even have 2 finch eggs from a friend of mine in there trying to hatch them. We have babies in the finch eggs we just found out. Kinda neat.
    Anyway, we didn't smell anymore rotten eggs. It must be residual rotten egg. I am going to take them all out later and scrub down the bator around where the egg was. Since I had the eggs out of the bator I will wait until later when I turn them. It should be a quick clean up I would think.

9. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    hmmm i dunno if that such a good idea but u could introduce more humidity to ur baotr if u use water to clean it plus u dont wanna get in there to often im sure u have thought of these things just thought id throw it in goood luck keep fingers crossed u have a good hatch [​IMG]

10. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

I give each egg a gentle shake, and usually, with my limited experience, the rotten ones sound and feel wet and sloshy inside. And stinky too..

GENTLE shake though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by