Stinkin' Hawks!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bec, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Is there anything I can put out around the pen to keep them away? Like fake crows or owls or something? We are going to put up new netting but until then, I need to do something..he is stealing my birds! I know he needs to eat too but if I can deter him, he can go eat elsewhere!

2. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Check the other thread about "fake owls". I use fake owls, yellow balls with eyes, hanging CDs, even pie pans with eyes drawn on them hanging in trees.

3. hurricanearran

hurricanearran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Denny Island, BC
    I'm having a similar problem. We'll be putting up a net soon but in the meantime, it would be nice to know if anything else will actually work. After losing 42 chickens to a mink, I lost one to a hawk the following day! I haven't let them outside of the coop since then, except under total supervision, and still that hawk is hanging around. I was inside the house for less then 10 minutes the other day and when I went back out, the chickens had gone inside and I saw the hawk flying away!!!

4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Any thing reflective dangling from the Yard. Pie plates CD's, You can try to bring other birds to your yard as well offering there types of food in feeders. Mocking Birds, Crows, Ravens, Sparrows, Most of these birds will detore hawks. But this method isn't always safe as migrating Birds can carry lice mites and diseases. Tie bright strings in zig zags over the run so a hawk can see it. And I also suggest to move the Cd's daily it seems that hawks get use to things and want to test it exepcially coopers SSH and young hawks.

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Thank you everyone! I am going to try all of those things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by