Stinky Bedding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JacobMaxwell, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Ever since yesterday the hen house has had a stench. The shavings look very fresh and I'm using the deep litter method. I stir the bedding daily and usually find almost no pooh. The current shavings are about 5" deep and haven't even been in for two weeks. Any ideas are appreciated.

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I read recently that starting fresh bedding in the winter isn't a good idea because it can't heat up sufficiently to begin the composting process.

Another thought, has it rained recently? When mine gets wet I have to stir it a lot to dry it. It smells like ammonia until I do.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    How many chickens, and how big is the space they are in? If that is fine, not over crowded, then it sounds like you need more fresh air/ventilation.
    Jack

4. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    There are six hens in a 4X9 chicken tractor with a 4X4 run. They have lots of ventilation unless I have to close them in due to bad weather. They have been closed in for a while now, so I guess I'll open another vent.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're pushing it on space, less than ten feet per bird total. If it stinks, you need to open things up! Those birds need fresh air a lot more than they need to be warm.

6. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    I always let them into the run every day and usually give them the option to free range, but lately they just stay in the coop when I open it up. They seem to hate the snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by