stinky chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TubbyChicken, Nov 21, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Is there any way to combat stinky chicks? I clean the brooder every other day at this point. I'm getting ready to extend their space and I'm hoping that the more room they have to spread out the less concentrated the smell will be. However, when I extend their space they will be moved to our laundry room...Yuck, chicken stink on my clean clothes is sounding a little scary LOL

Can I use stall dry? I have a giant bag of Stall Dry but here's my problem...

I rehomed my entire first flock because of disease and started over with vaxed, hatchery chicks. I got rid of all the food, sanitized the feeders, cleaned and bleached the brooder and followed instructions from the head of our avian research department.

The only thing I held on to is a bag of stall dry. I did carry the bag down to the coops and used it in the coops with the infected birds...at most, my hands (which touched the infected birds and then the cup I used to scoop the stall dry) may have transferred some bacteria. The bag however, was housed indoors and I kept it to use in my cat's litterboxes.

Should I buy a new bag? Is it safe to use with young chicks? and does anyone else have suggestions?

2. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I don't know about the stall dry/possible infection, sorry... hopefully others will have answers for you.
    What are you using as litter? I find that pine shavings keeps the smell down much better than straw. And when it comes to smell, my biggest problem is usually wetness... wet poo smells so much worse than dry! Is your waterer tipping over? Do you have adequate ventilation for the chicks' general respiration/poop dampness? Adequate ventilation and non-tippable waterers can help stinky chicks.

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    If you don't have too much so as to make it impractical, you could always sterilize the remaining Stall Dry by baking it in an oven.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:or put some in your microwave.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by