Stinky chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stroud2009, May 8, 2016.

1. stroud2009

stroud2009 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    We just brought home 6 chicks and my husband made them an area to sleep in that's a large plastic bin with a wire top and their heating lamp. They are SO stinky . I'm cleaning it out every two days and it stinks up my laundry room . Is this pretty normal ? When we had our last batch is chicks I was taking care of a a newborn so I wasn't as involved as I am now .

2. nposluszny

nposluszny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    Johnstown, NY
    What bedding are you using? I know that when I had mine, I used wood shavings and anytime they decided to play in their waterer and make a royal mess with wet shavings, the odors kicked up a LOT. I ended up getting a bigger waterer and putting it up on a phone book, got them to stop.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    We use shavings and really don't have a smell problem. They are in the laundry room as well however there is no door as well as it is still unfinished so no wall to speak of either. So we have air flow. But real do not have a odor problem. Try using a different kind of bedding.

4. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I used shavings as well for my chicks, but it got stinky if they didn't have enough space. If I kept them in a large box, it was fine.

5. stroud2009

stroud2009 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    I am using the wood shavings the fees store picked out for me . Would you all mind describing what you keep your chicks in ? Maybe we need ours in something different .

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  7. GopherBrokeFarm

GopherBrokeFarm Just Hatched

May 5, 2016
    You could try builders sand if they are over a week old. It dries well.in case if spills and dessicates the poop very quickly which cuts down on the odor.

8. tommosx56

tommosx56 Out Of The Brooder

on a scale of 1 to 10 how stinky are your chicks

1 being small fart

10 being garbage dump

9. tommosx56

cos if its 6 or up i don't know[​IMG]

10. tommosx56

if you come up with a solution make sure its not toxic to the chicks ( because chicks have sensitive lungs and can be poisoned) and put it up high so it shouldn't be able to reach the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by