Stinky Coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SolarRay, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SolarRay

SolarRay New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    In my neighborhood, two ducks and two chickens live in a cyclone fenced coop 24/7, next door to me.
    They are little sweeties.
    I've had the pleasure being responsible for them for several days while the pet owner was away.
    However, we've been in the high temps of late and the coop is smelling very unpleasant.

Is it normal for a coop to smell real bad?
    Is this poor coop hygiene?

Please, advise.

Thank you, S.Ray

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ducks need water and keep things wet. Wet poop smells and dry poop does not smell unless it piles up so thick that it becomes wet. Some people manage to keep ducks and chickens together but it is real hard to do this in an urban setting. I don't have experience with that. Hopefully someone in an urban setting can tell you how they get it to work.

I suggest talking to your neighbor in a nice way. The old flies with honey instead of vinegar routine. Maybe suggest talking to your county extension agent (in the phone book under county government) to see if they can help? Maybe suggest they open an account on this forum and ask the duck people for suggestions?

If you can't get somewhere acting nice, you probably have a legal remedy, but I'd use that as a last resort.

Good luck! Sounds like you have a problem that is not of your making.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would suggest approaching your neighbor and talking to them about the smell. I had ducks in the past and I have just started raising chickens now and they do not smell. There may be a problem with either the hygine of the pen or if you can not see all of the birds, it is possible that there may be a dead one out there. I would do it in a nice manner and let them know that you do enjoy having the birds over there but the odor has got to go.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You can always act concerned. You are worried that something is wrong because they are smelling so bad. Really bad smell is not healthy and is a sign that something is wrong. Something is dead in there, or the bedding needs cleaned out badly.

That will get the conversation rolling, and she/he will know that the odor is strong enough for you to be bothered. I am thinking that you are really trying to be a good neighbor, and she/he will not want to risk losing that relationship and get those girls cleaned up!

I really think that you are a top act, coming here to get advice, not just start a war.
    mrsK

5. SolarRay

SolarRay New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    Thank you for your feedback, each and all of you.
    I will speak with my neighbor tonight, then invite him to this website.
    He is aware of the smell.

I know he waters the dirt floor of the coop.
    This last week he's begun to throw hay straw on the ground, as well, as an odor control.
    I will do my best to bring him here, because you have easily taught me a couple of new things.
    So, again, thank you.

Solar Rays

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Quote:Yeah....but who wants flies?! [​IMG]

7. SolarRay

SolarRay New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    Edit

8. SolarRay

SolarRay New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    Had a gracious and progressive discussion with my neighbor this evening.
    Thank you for all your support.
    Long live peaceful endeavors [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by