Stinky egg mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggsforsale, Nov 21, 2009.

1. eggsforsale

eggsforsale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Idaho
    So, I have been upset because of bad tasting stinky eggs. I finally have at least figured out that the same chicken is laying all the bad eggs. I have 8 chickens. 6 EE's and 2 RR. I gather a rainbow of eggs every day. I finally started experimenting and noticed that the darkest brown egg is always the culprit. None of the others smell bad when cracked and cooked but that one. It is bad enough that my kids won't eat any of my eggs now! I quit enjoying eggs and was ready to scrap the whole coop and flock. I'm almost sure it is one of the RR's. Question of the day...Why would one chicken lay such distasteful eggs? They are not free ranging right now, they all eat the same feed and live in the same space. I don't get it.....

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:Interesting.

Edited to add:

Since Salmonella is a bacteria, why couldn't the affected hen be treated with antibiotics? Clearly in a commercial operation, it isn't worth it, but for a backyard flock... I don't know, just askin'. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by