Stinky egg problems :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CritterHill, Apr 7, 2009.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I have been fighting with stinky egg issues for a while now.

If I cut out ALL table scraps, it seems to get better, but what fun is that?

So I started giving them table scraps again (but no broccoli or fish or soy) and I'm getting stinky eggs again!

What else could make them stinky?

They did get a LOT of leftover greasy french fries last week... Would greasy food cause this issue?

2. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Onions? Garlic? Anything cruciforous (sp?) like broccoli or cauliflower?

Whatever my husband eats when he is not with me????? (sorry sweetie, couldn't resist)

3. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:I removed all leftover veggies from their diet and our food is always bland (no onions or garlic) due to a very picky small child.

I am baffled! The only thing I can think of is greasy stuff? But I'm not sure if that would cause it.

4. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Yes, I would suspect the greasy stuff. I give my chickens all of the fresh (or cooked) fruit and veggie scraps, hard-boiled eggs, lean meat, but we rarely have anything greasy or fried so they haven't really had any. I do avoid giving them onions. We have never had a stinky egg, so I haven't had to problem-solve before. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by