Stinky Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Hi. I am just curious so an egg doesn't explode in my incubator! But when an egg is bad/rotten how bad does it stink? And if an egg is bad/rotten how long will it take for it to stink? And is the smell bad enough even at first that I should know its a bad egg? Thanks.

2. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    well being new to this incubation adventure i have found out if your incubator has a strange smell [​IMG] comeing form it you better candle and see what is up
    i have not ran into a stink egg right off hand but i have found any strange smell beware of.
    good luck

3. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    My entire incubator usually smells when I got a stink egg [​IMG]

As long as your candling twice during incubation ( Once on the 7th-14th day

of incubation, and once on the 18th day of incubation - right before lockdown ) You

should be able to tell which eggs are good, and which eggs are bad.

Therefore you should be able to find any bad eggs before they get to an 'exploding'

point. :)

- HBee♥

4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks! [​IMG]

5. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    If you have a stinker you will know it. I usually just start picking each egg up and give it a whiff you will find the stinker. Handle the stinker real careful like its nitroglycerin. I found a stinker in my incubator and took it out side to throw it away when i drew my arm back to toss it it exploded right beside my head. [​IMG]

6. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Omg! every time I turn the eggs I will make sure none of them stink!! That's so gross! lol Was is gross? Haha, I guess that's a stupid question! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by