Stinky ground

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 11mini, Mar 28, 2015.

1. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Last year was my first year with chickens. I quickly learned I had the coop in the wrong location and it soon became a stinky wet mess. The smell was awful, rotting chicken crap, water, mud and shavings [​IMG]. The coop has been moved to the correct high and dry location and has a well covered run that stays dry in all but the heaviest rains. The ground where the coop was still smells bad. What can I do/put on the ground to kill the smell? The old area is still fenced in so I'm not concerned with the chickens or anything else being directly exposed to the ground.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would sprinkle a bunch of pelletized lime over it. I don't know that this will work but its worth a tr. It might also help to scatter something like last years; dry leaves, or some hay, first.

3. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Roto till! Chickens droppings already contain lime.

1 person likes this.
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree that's a good idea, if the ground is dry enough to till. Guess i was picturing it still wet.

5. 11mini

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    This is what I got
    [​IMG]

6. 11mini

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Yes the ground is still wet, I excavated it down about 1 foot but now I still have the pile of stinky crap dirt and shavings. I may have to haul it away.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Can you plant something like clover? Maybe that would help??? Just guessing I really don't know.

8. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Spread it out, maybe in a garden. It will stop smelling when it dries or gets mixed in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by