stinky incubator???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bearfeet3, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Sorry second post, no one answered in the incubation forum, but I opened up my incubator today and it smelled a little. My goose egg smelled fine (day 12) but the incubator had a weird smell to it. Is this normal or should I try cleaning it with vinegar. I have an rcom mini 3 egg incubator by the way so it has a plastic exterior and the only way to do a thorough cleaning would be taking it apart...

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Is one of your eggs bad?

3. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
    I only have one in there right now(the other turned out to have a blood spot so i threw it.) I opened it to spray and cool the egg and I got this whiff of somthing. I pulled the egg out and it didnt really smell, it's the actual incubator that kind of stinks. Its not horrid or anything, but it's noticable.

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Blood spots don't mean anything! You probably threw out a life... [​IMG]

Blood spots happen when the egg is forming inside the hen (duck, goose, chicken ect) and a capillary breaks. There's nothing wrong with it, it just means that a minor error occurred. If it was fertile, it still (probably) would have hatched. [​IMG]

5. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
    It was day 9 and all it contained was a round black speck...

6. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Okay then.

I'm new to this, so I was thinking it was early on. [​IMG]

- - -

Does it smell plastic-y?

7. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
    No it has a weird light fishy smell...It smells kind of like goose poop. I dont know how to explain lol.. Is it normal to have any smell to the incubator. Thats really what I'm wondering. I havnt incubated anything in a couple years so I mustve forgot. I just hope I dont have bacteria growing in there...

8. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I've never incubated anything in my life, but in my limited research-based experience, I'd have to say that any weird smells are bad. o_o;

9. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
    uh oh...i think i'll clean it tommorrow then

10. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Every time that's happened to me, I've had a "stinker". Sometimes it takes a while before you can identify the egg by sniffing. Don't know why the incubator stinks before the egg does--one of life's little mysteries.

Webfoot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by