Stinky Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BunsNChicks, Mar 24, 2012.

1. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    So I pulled out my incubator from the closet and it literally stinks like a dead animal! I washed it with dawn soap and vinegar and it still reeks. Anyone know how to get out the smell or whether it is going to effect my hatch?

2. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    Anyone?

3. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Now this is what I do but others may freak out....After I am done with my hovabator every yr I wash mine out with dawn, a toothbrush, and just a touch of bleach..rinse very well and then scrub it again with dawn by itself, and then I let it sit out in the sun for the whole day. If it still smells like bleach re-wash with dawn and let sit in sun another day..then it should be good....

That is what I do.. [​IMG]

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I'd try the bleach, and the sunshine, and if it still stinks try some baking soda.

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Mine always smells like something died in it after a hatch. (If it smells like that before incubation you probably just didn't clean it well after your last hatch.) What I do is basically what the others are suggesting. I use a little dawn and warm water and scrub it with a scrub brush. (Kinda like what you use to clean out from under you nails with.) Then I spray it some weak bleach water and leave it sitting. I can't leave mine outside because the puppy will chew it up, so I just leave it on the counter near a window. After a while I rinse it out really well and it usually smells a lot better after that. :)
    I use a Little Giant still air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by