Stinky nasal discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Horsefly, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I got 7 free bantam Cochins and an EE a couple weeks ago and have had them in quarantine. Yesterday I let them out their cage to wander the yard with my existing chickens and they are out today too. I was out playing with them just now and I was noticing the "flaws" on them so I guess I got this guys culls. One had a crooked toe hidden in his feathers, anothers tail was wrong, etc. Well I was picking them up and examining them and I noticed ones nose was plugged up. I worked the plug out and some clear fluid came out and it smelled horrible! Like something dead and rotten! I noticed a couple others had the same nose plug thing and the same clear fluid was came out when I unplugged them. Others looked fine and they are all quite energetic and running around eating. Now I'm worried they have something bad and my other chickens could of caught it. They are back in isolation and will stay there till I decide what to do with them. Most of them are roosters and we were planning on giving them away or eating them. If they are sick could it hurt us if we butchered them tomorrow and ate them? I wanted to keep the hens and a rooster so what could they have?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    yep, sounds like coryza.

4. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thank you for the replies. I read the stuff in that link, it didn't seem to me that the symptoms were the same? They don't have any swelling on their heads. Would it be best for me to just cull them all now before I get attached? Some of them don't have runny noses would they still be carriers? And if I were to try and treat them with something what would the something be and would they still be carriers for life and infect all my existing birds? Sorry for the questions I have been really busy today and haven't had time to go do my research yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by