1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stinky Pine Shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Nov 4, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Wondering if there is a way to fix this issue?

My coop is covered in pine shavings - however, sometimes the girls will bump into the waterer (or, I will) and water will spill. If I don't realize it right away - and if the pine gets wet, it smells like urine.

1) Is this normal?
    2) How can I avoid this?
    3) Do I have to clean out ALL of the pine shavings or do I just layer dry on top?

HELP!?!?

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Get the water out of the coop. Make sure you have enough shavings in there. If it smells enough like ammonia for you to smell it then it is already damaging the birds lungs.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I keep a small leaf rake in my coop for times like that and just remove the offending wet chips. Make sure you are keeping your DL fluffed and turned to prevent moisture buildup and, of course, increased ventilation helps.

If you can't find a rake to fit your coop, cutting the handle down on a leaf rake may give you more elbow room for this chore. I tend to forget that some people's coops are miniature compared to mine. [​IMG]

4. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Oh, and if its a soggy mess then chuck it.

5. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

If it smells enough like ammonia for you to smell it then it is already damaging the birds lungs.

I'll respectfully dispute this statement. If this were true there are millions of chickens all over the world with respiratory failure.

Ammonia smell happens and the only way you know it happens is when you smell it....then you correct it. If you cannot smell it, then you don't know when to add fresh shavings, fluff the existing shavings and check the moisture content of your DL by grabbing a handful and feeling of it.

You don't have to remove your waterer from your coop...just place it up on cement blocks and out of the chips. Easy, peasy!​

7. inputoutput

inputoutput Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    I've got my 5 gallon waterer up on bricks... But I've thought of maybe putting it inside a large rubbermaid container (the flat kind people use to store things under the bed) and that way if it splashes over its no big deal? I do the same thing with my cat's litter box c_c

8. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:I'll respectfully dispute this statement. If this were true there are millions of chickens all over the world with respiratory failure.

Ammonia smell happens and the only way you know it happens is when you smell it....then you correct it. If you cannot smell it, then you don't know when to add fresh shavings, fluff the existing shavings and check the moisture content of your DL by grabbing a handful and feeling of it.

You don't have to remove your waterer from your coop...just place it up on cement blocks and out of the chips. Easy, peasy!

While I see your point, my point is: average person is 5' tall plus or minus and if you cam walk into your coop and smell ammonia at head level then your birds, standing at knee level, will be in a much higher concentration for a much longer period of time if they enjoy playing in their chips as mine do. Ventilation is key, yes, but catching an overabundance of ammonia at 3' high is much healthier than at 5' high.

9. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Use a chicken nipple waterer (drinker) instead.
    There are many posts on how to make them (easy).
    Start by buying the nipples off ebay (the ones with a stainless post that rotates 360 degrees)-right now
    they are at really good prices.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3179161

I have mine hanging off the wall. I made 2 waterers, one for the run, and one for the coop.
    I used 2 heavy duty plastic pitchers. Seemed like a good choice where the spout allows enough room for a drop in de-icer.
    Honestly, you could use any container, even milk bottles.
    I use stainless steel bushings instead of brass ones, because I use Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in the water and
    didn't want the brass to oxidize.

After the girls get the hang of it (in no time) you will never have a wet mess again.
    My hens use to play with the water and made a small mess, but that ended now that they are laying.

Other odors are handled another way, DE or Stable Boy or Dtall Boy in the shavings help.

Good luck-this is so easy to fix and a fun project.

10. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Not too sure the nipples will fix your problem. I have them in my brooders and I have to change the shavings often because of the water leaking onto the shaving.... very messy and stinky... [​IMG] I don't use litter in my runs with the big birds, but with these babies it is a problem. I have thought about having something under them to catch the water that drips or is missed by the chicks but have not come up with a good idea yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by