Stinky Poo..????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AN, Apr 26, 2009.

1. AN

AN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Texas-South of DFW area
    I know i saw a list of types of chicks poop on here somewhere...but now i cant find it.

There is a dark brn STINKY poo in the chicken run....what the heck is it and how long will it last....gag.

thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Foamy ~ one of my baby chicks (1 week old today) has had foamy poop and she hasa bit of a routine she goes thru when she poops, like a backing up and doing a little dance first sort of routine. Didn't really think much of it, because a few seconds (maybe a minute or two) it isn't foamy looking anymore...but how can you tell between the foamy poops (one is normal and one is not???) she does have foamy poops now and then that I notice and other times more normal looking...what is "cecal" mean??? is it bad???

NOW I'm concerned...otherwise she acts extremely lovely and I'm sooo attached to her, I'd be really upset to loose her! [​IMG] What would I do for her if she is having the bad foamy kind of poop???

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The foamy and cecal poos are both normal. Read the descriptions under the pics on that link.
    ETA: Cecal poos occur about every 6 to 8 movements and are caused by a loop in the intestines of a chicken. Normal, nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    it says this is worms

[​IMG]

and this is normal

[​IMG]

they look the same to me...help me see the difference...so that IF my girl needs attention, I can give it to her before it's too late.

THANKS! [​IMG]

6. AN

AN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Texas-South of DFW area
    Thanks for the help..............never in a million years did i think i would be inspecting chicken poop

7. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Ditto~! the hubby thinks I've lost my last screw! [​IMG]

8. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:If you look at the pictures, you can srr the bottom one is more liquid/foam, and in the top one you can see the pieces that appear to be slightly more solid.

Another thing to look for if you think it may be worms is an increased apitite, and weight loss in the effected chickens.

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I'm new at this whole chicken rais'n stuff...but she seems pretty darn healthy otherwise...she eats well, rests, plays, is friendly, curious...etc... so if it's the normal foamy poop, why is it that way? just a lot of gas? anything you can do for her to make it look more 'normal' poop like poop???

10. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:for lack of a better way to explain it, chicken poop is similar to human poop in the aspect that there are many variables involved. The hens may have eaten something that didn't agree with them, or it could be stress induced if anything has changed around them recently. I would say if the poop is solid tomorrow, everything is fine, if the hen still has runny/foamy poop you may want to try some ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their water, or giving them some yogurt before treating them with any antibiotic.

I only medicate my animals if I notice a drastic change in habits or behaviors such as being lethargic, or not eating, etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by