Stinky Run...............Zeolite, DE, Sweet PDZ.........

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tenderkat, Nov 9, 2009.

1. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had my chickens for several runs now, and I'm trying to eliminate any potential problems. I've noticed my run getting stinkier off and on lately, and I'm hoping to find the best cure for this situation. Every so often, I've gone in there to turn the floor under, but perhaps I should do this more regularly? Also, different feedstores have recommended various stuff to sprinkly around the run to help with the smell. Three of them are Zeolite, Sweet PDZ, and of course DE. I'm trying to be as non-toxic and safe as possible with my flock, and would to unknowingly add something to their run that might be detrimental.

Are there any suggestions on which of these would be best, and how to use them in my run?

Thankyou so much!!

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    In the past (have not had problems for quite sometime) I have used lime. Need to get the safe kind and right now I can't think of the type. I simple spread a five pound bag around and tilled it into the soil, it really helped.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First thing is to make sure it's not a drainage or slowly-increasing-muddiness issue. If so, fix that and you fix the stink.

If the run stays pretty good 'n' dry all the time, but is still stinky, my first choice would be to till some lime into the soil and see if that does the trick.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Lime is the cheapest , easiest thing to use.
    Get Calcium carbonate, (Ag or pelletized lime) , and NOT Calcium Hydroxide (Hydrated lime)

5. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oops! I just realized I said I've had my chickens for several runs now. What I meant is several months now. Well, geeze, I would hope by the time I've had several runs, I know how to keep the stink down;)

Pat............I'm pretty sure the stink is not due to a boggy run. It sits a bit higher than the surrounding area, so it drains and dries pretty quick. I still might add some more sand and roadbase as time goes on. I'll see how things go over the winter snow months.

Well, it appears as though I'm looking into getting some lime, hopefully it will help. Thanks!!

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My runs are always covered in the stems from alfalfa hay, so there's "stuff" on the ground that can hold moisture. I rake them out about 2x a month, but once a week or so I sprinkle DE in them to keep them smell free. We stay dry here in west Texas, but it can get stinky if I don't keep it up.

7. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Our penned runs are on the high side of our acreage, above the drainage area. Even so we raised the area outside to create a runoff to the drainage area. The flocks love the "free range" acers and know where home is. We use DE and Stall dry in the coops during rainy periods for the humidity.
    Likely that you would need to create a drainage area around your runs and coops to keep them higher. In the long term you would spend less money on products to keep the same dry naturally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by