Stinky run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by robyn8, Apr 25, 2017.

1. robyn8

robyn8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    I've noticed now that it's warmer that my run stinks like rotting nastiness. It doesn't smell like poop. We have mulch in there and I think there's rotting food under it. It's soft in spots and if I dig under the mulch I see rotting food and even some maggots. What should I do? We were going to dig it out full with dirt and sweet pdz and then cover with mulch again.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sprinkle with barn lime all over it and control your feed where it is not wasted----I feed my chickens, but if they got fresh food on the dirt around the feeder I do not give them more until they clean it up.

3. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan

Thanks! So you think barb lime and not sweet pdz or would both help?

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I have used Barn Lime and it helped a lot----I do not know what sweet pdz is. The biggest thing I think helps is controlling the feed so it does not sour and smell so bad. Plus it will save you some money. Chickens will clean up their feed spills if more food is not offered.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Not knowing how "bad" it smells only you can determine what to do. I live in a wet & humid climate (HI) & decided to go with DLM in my RC and a poop board under their roost. There has been a few times when I open up the curtains in the mornings the "smell" tells me it's time to add clean shavings with sprinkle of DE & PDZ, they move it around. Occasionally I'll get the rake out and give it a good "mixing". The ground is hard clay dirt which they're breaking up for me, now & then I shovel out the loose dirt/shavings to spread in the low spots in my yard. Working for me.

PD-Riverman is right on about feeding....I do fermented feeding but do scatter treats on the ground in the shavings so they keep the shavings "tilled" for me.

6. robyn8

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Yeah I think the spilled food is the main problem. We are figuring out our feeder situation.

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yea we all would love to fill those feeders and the sweet chickens---if they drop one speck---stop and clean it up---LOL. it isn't going to happen at my place. That's why I said I do not add more until they clean up the spilt one----this is done on a daily basis. If I am going to be gone a couple days---then I add a couple days worth of feed in their feeders----if they spill it on the ground---they will have to eat it off the ground until I get back.

I did look up sweet pdz----never heard of it??

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Check out the website www.sweetpdz.com also related to it is something called "koop clean" which is not available here (HI) .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by