Stinky School...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenlover50010, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    Hi! I asked my science teacher if my school has a science fair and he said no. I wanted to hatch chicks for the science fair and show the stages of devolopment when you candle them and stuff but NOOOOO, they have to stop us students from learning. Those nerds. Does anyone have any idea how I can convince my school to let us have a science fair so I can teach them about how awesome chicks are(then my parents would have to let me get chickens since it is educational and since I hatched them) Thanks!

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Write a letter to your local paper and contact the pta. Chat with the principal. Ask he or she if they are interested in the students of your area being fluent in the language of science. Keep on pestering them all!! You can do it!!

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    It depends on the reason for why there isn't one, but without your science teacher's support it will be very difficult (not impossible though) to organize one.

It may be that the school is small and doesn't have much in the way of resources to support a science fair for not so many students. It may be that there are not enough volunteers to help with organizing and the logistics of a science fair, because that's a lot of work in itself. It may be that there are very many students and not enough science teachers to supervise all the projects appropriately.

Siemens-Westinghouse awards scholarships for science fair projects that are especially good, and if you have any employers in your area that are science-based, they often have outreach programs to sponsor science fairs. If you're near a university, they also can help organize a science fair with you. See if there are any university science or pre-medical student clubs who might take on the job. Also, if there's a school PTA, they might help find volunteers and raise some money for the occasion. If your teacher can see that s/he wouldn't have to do as much of the organization work, s/he might be more supportive.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Get you school's student council involved.

Plan a cooperative science fair with another school that is the same size as yours.

Remember, an event like this takes a lot of time and money to prepare for and plan; it may be that the adults at your school do not have the time nor the money to spare after all the things they are already doing.

Teachers have lives and families of their own, and cannot always be counted on to have the time or money to plan and run huge events. It may be that this needs to be a student- or parent-driven event.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If my small town, low income, run by idiots school district can do a science fair, I would think yours could pull one off...LOL

6. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    hahahaa! It's not like they don't have money, they can sponser a school fair(like games, prizes, that sorta stuff0 and they don't even make us do a fund raiser. I bet a science fair costs less than that, much less. The students are paying for the supplies they need(or their parents are...lol) not the teachers. Hmm, maybe I could get a petition going around... you'd think that if the elementary schools can do it, the middle schools can too! This drives me nuts sometimes!![​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    How about time and scheduling? Judges? Advisers?

Why not sit down with your parents and plan this out, then take your plan to a school board meeting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by