1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

STINKY snotty heads and NO vet!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MakNat, Feb 28, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I've been posting the same issue for a day or 2. The more I read the more I observe... Quick overview of symptoms again. Swollen faces, watery eyes, and snotty noses. Ok, someone said to smell them. Well they do stink, nasty... Any thoughts?? I do not have a chicken vet and an broke, but can go to the store to get something else. Been using terrimycin and Vet RX. I have Aureomycin?? All suggestions are so helpful. Thanks again.

2. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    probably the best is to cull but you can also use 1/2 cc of tylan 50...you can get tylan 50 at tractor supply for about 9.00...if they get well they will always be carriers and in stress get sick again....

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sounds like Fowl Coryza. Try using some Sulfa-type antibiotic. I think you can order some from Jeffers Livestock.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Cinnamon. Yup, put it in with thier water...about a teaspoon for a bucket. It works fast and clears up respatory infections

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    You may be dealing with Newcastle Disease. Read about it. Swollen faces and discharges are symptoms. Isolate all birds and you may have to cull. Very contagious. Good luck.

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Online go to External Symptoms for Diagnosing poultry diseases....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If it is stinky it is choryza, I would cull immediately.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree with Jean on this one. Sorry.

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Sounds like Coryza. Do their noses smell like rotting flesh? That's the distinct smell of Coryza.

If they'be been with your flock for a good amount of time, the entire flock is likely a carrier for Coryza. It's easy to treat (Baytril knocks it out pretty quickly) but they will be carriers forever, and it will spread to your flock to make your entire flock a carrier.

10. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    How would they get it?? I've had all the same birds for about 9 monthes... The only knew birds are the babies my birds have. Everyone has been healthy until this. Could I have made them sick. I brought a few of the bantys in for the extreme cold and they got sick after I put them back outside. It is only the 2 out of 6 that were inside..?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by