Stinky!!!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ilovechickens, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    Help I have 30 1 week old meat birds in my basement, and boy do they stink:sick, I need to move them out to the garage, but I am a little bit afraid because the temps are a little cool, but my basement is stinking:sick and that is with totally cleaning the pool every other day and adding fresh shavings, any suggestions:fl

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    OMG.... I have three pekin ducks that our 4 days old in my basment and I want to puke.... needless to say they are going to the shed tomorrow can't take it anymore. They were a gift to my gf and now i'm regreting it!

I pitty you with 30 of those stink bombs in your basement. [​IMG]

Well... depending on the temps you should be fine if you provide them with heat. They don't take well to cold temps at 1 week but when they reach week two they handle freezing temps if there is no drafts. What you should do is put bales of hay to form a walls so it eliminates drafts... put a sheet of plywood on top to trap the heat and for heat use.... a 250 watt red lamp... make sure it's secure so it doesn't start a fire. When temps hold steady at 40 degrees at night you can take the light off after two weeks. Before two weeks they can't regulate their body temperature and count on others or a heat source to stay warm....

Good LUCK!! But I would get them out of the basement quick...

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

NO LIVESTOCK IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Thanks for the reminder .. Jim .. does this include eggs and brooders .. [​IMG]

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

NO LIVESTOCK IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Amen.

Get them out- put them in the garage.​

6. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Just fix up a area with a nice heat lamp for all them to fit under they should be fine.

7. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I added corn cob bedding with the shaving and had better moisture/smell control. I only have 20 but was able to keep them in the basement for three weeks. Then one afternoon POW! They are happily now in the garage, first with aheat lampand now without. I just came in from cleaning out their run. I think cob bedding stirs up better dispursing the ...

8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    PELLETS PELLETS PELLETS!!

I use equine pellets. I dont know how people use anything else. I really dont.

9. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I can hardly stand to smell them OUTSIDE! I think I have only made ir a couple of days before I moved them out. The do smell soo bad.

10. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I thought people was crazy until I bought some and kept them in a brooder in my basement. How bad could a few little chickies smell??? About the 2nd week I could not stand it any longer.

It was a putrid smell. I drug the brooder outside and turned it upside down fora few days until I coud stomach cleaning it out.

I like them much better since they moved outside!!!

Darin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by