1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stinky?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovinthechickens, May 30, 2008.

1. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Im getting my first group of chickys soon (yay) and i was wondering if they are super smelly. Im trying to decide if i want to keep them in my room or the guest room...

[​IMG] Moe [​IMG]

2. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    we have ours in the guest room. they are not too stinky, but I need a bigger brooder for them. However, I am getting wood chips all over.... nothing a good vacuum can't handle though. [​IMG]

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    mine lived in my bedrooom by my bed for 7 weeks and their like humnas they don't stink except the first 20 seconds after they go to the bathroom but not really...they never bothered me...

4. lovinthechickens

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Sweet, thanks [​IMG]

5. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    i keep mine in the living room....and i'm an absolute neat freak! i change their litter completely twice a week, but even then it doesn't smell bad. not to be indelicate...but right after they go there's a very brief odor, but oddly enough it doesn't last at all...and you have to be like 8 inches away or less to even smell that. they're awesome, don't worry about that aspect anyway.[​IMG]

6. lovinthechickens

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Haha, my family are real neat freaks too.

We live in a rental... I dont know if the guy would get mad... Does any smell AT ALL linger?

7. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I find that the smell only lingers til the poo dries. About 2 minutes. On shavings, I don't smell it AT ALL! Only when they are running around on the livingroom floor, do I smell it. Then I mop it up, and it's long gone! I rent also, and have no issues with the smell, mine are all in the living room, even the older ones. Steph

8. lovinthechickens

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Thanks so much!

9. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    okay, mine are smelly. not terribly smelly, but smellier than they were as week olds. I change their shavings every other day (and they are only in the shavings at night, otherwise they are outside). They have a deep bed of shavings and there are only ten of them. I think it is the chickens themselves that smell, not necessarily the poo, because there isn't all that much poop, given the circumstances.. They are all lively and healthy and happy, and not sick or with poopy butts. Is it because they are eating grass and bugs, and not just medicated chick starter that they have an...odor? They are 4-6 weeks.

10. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Quote:Hmmmm, maybe, but I don't know. My 12 week-olds really have no odor at all. Maybe someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to help with that. (hint, hint)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by