Stinky

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jemjdragon, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jemjdragon

jemjdragon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    I need help controlling smell in my backyard.
    We're not really sure what to do.
    What we usually do is hose off the duck pen and cement on the patio, but now the soil areas in the yard are getting really really stinky and swampy. Algae is even starting to grow on top of it. One
    We know it is because there is no drainage so we are thinking of digging down and throwing away the top soil, filling in with gravel and covering with more soil. I know just drying the area up would work, but that won't happen fast or really well because the whole yard faces away from the sun and is shaded.
    But is there anything else that can be done to help? Like spraying it with something that would be safe for ChaCha (duck)?

2. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    Get a product like Stall Dry that contains diatomaceous earth and clay and sprinkle on the damp area. It absorbs moisture and is not harmful to animals.

3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    How big is your yard? It is really hard for one duck to "fowl" a whole yard by herself, unless it's really small. You mentioned marshy conditions, could you put in a French drain or farm tile to drain the yard? Maybe a rain garden with native plants to help deal with the excess water? I am guessing (knowing nothing else about your yard) that the water and bad drainage are more to blame for the smell than your 1 duck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by