Stir Crazy?

sscott90

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
Midwest
So, I'm moving to a city that allows backyard chickens but only 2 and they have to stay in their coop at all times. I am wondering if there is a specific breed of chicken that's better suited for coop living than others. Any advice? Because I'm worried these chickens are going to become stir crazy!

ep.gif

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
Because of their smaller size bantams are well suited for confinment, especially calm and gentle breeds like Silkies and Cochins (Pekins). If you are wanting standard sized breeds, those that have a well deserved repuation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets), and doing well in confinement include Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. If high egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list, and Cochins are the poorest (although they are the best brooders and mothers). Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

sscott90

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
Midwest
Thank you so much for the help! I'll definitely be doing more research on the breeds you mentioned. Are the ones you mentioned cold hardy by any chance? I live in Iowa and that's definitely something I'm going to need in a chicken. That'll help me narrow the options down.

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
Thank you so much for the help! I'll definitely be doing more research on the breeds you mentioned. Are the ones you mentioned cold hardy by any chance? I live in Iowa and that's definitely something I'm going to need in a chicken. That'll help me narrow the options down.

You're welcome. They are all cold hardy breeds. :eek:)

Top Bottom